Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Dear Stephenie,

I am pretty sure we should be best friends. We like the same music (I love writing while listening to David Grey's White Ladder), the same books, and apparently the same sorts of love stories. I think we hold similar values as well... but I'll nip this in the hooty because I'm pretty sure I'm crossing into creepy fan zone... but I'm sure that me typing that in no way assures you that I am not, in fact, a creepy fan. Moving on...

Really what I"m saying is that I admire you for what you have done with these novels and especially the characters. I admire you even more for not trying to do it, it seems as though it may have just happened (You say "Yeah right" but, best friend, I am just saying it seems that way).

I ask myself what is it about these books that draw the teens (and those of us only very slightly older) into a near obsessive state. Please, Steph, don't be modest, I've Googled- you've Googled... we both know it is true. Last night the answer came to me, and you are a Genius. Seriously, did you plan it this way?

So, most teenagers are about worried futures, sexual tension, and anxiety of being wanted (this does sum them up, they'll realize in a few years...), and what you have done is taken those fears - removed the reality, while adding ultimate finality. It's like you blinged up the whole teenage angst issue.

And the sexual tension, you are so clever, is there but very tactfully camoflouged. Thank you for that. For once, these kids are undersexed if anything (and I am not complaining about that), yet all the tension of sexual yearning is still dealt with: the way Edward longs for Bella's blood and she can't resist him, no matter how much she might want to.

I like to think of it as an abstinence allegory (though this may not be your intent). Think about it, if Edward had killed Bella that moment in Biology class, or anytime after, he would have had his pleasure for a moment but what would follow? Nothing. But it shows how much he loves her to overcome and put away his deepest lust to keep her close to him.

Even more... the use of Edward as statuesque (literally)... fabulous. Bella is so fragile and soft but the love of her being can never be fully hers (not as she is now anyway). Enter Jacob, who's hot (also literally) and soft and huggable and kissable, and ultimately Bella's second love. Once again you've taken teenage indecsion and beautified it. By using mythical and totally opposite creatures, you've simplified but some how made everything that much more seductive.

And in the end decisions must be made by all characters, and consequences must be dealt with. You are brilliant at showng that there is indeed consequences for every action, even those far in the past. You deal with the fact that even though we forgive, it takes time to heal; even more, that not all descions are easy and it is often the hardest that offer the deepest impact.

Best friend, I must leave for now... but there will be more correspondence to follow. Let me know if you want to come over some time. I have the whole Pride and Prejudice miniseries on tape, yeah, the one with Colin Firth. (This is an attempt at humor, not creepiness, I know you will never read this, it was more a cheap ploy to introduce some ideas about your intent of some issues in the novel - but if you want to be best friends, I'll learn how to french braid) Okay, BFF! I can't wait for you to decide we should swap stories about our children and fudge recipes!

Toodles,
Nicole

P.S. I made you a quilt. The first one I ever made... see... not creepy at all

No comments: